Friday, April 19, 2013

Athlete Profile: Gabi Wasserman


Age: 20
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
Years Racing: 2

Special Pre-Race/Pump up song: Eminem has some epic pump up music
Favorite Movie: Princess and the Frog
Favorite Band/musician:Bruce Springsteen
Favorite Food: French Baguette
Favorite TV Show: Parks and Recreation


How did you first get involved in triathlons? 
I used to play club soccer, and the league games were on Saturdays. In observance of Shabbat, I would ride my bike to the soccer fields instead of driving and then play the game. Club soccer ended when I started college, so I was looking for something to fill the void. I decided to combine the biking and running, throw in swimming for good measure, and started competing in triathlon.

What are you most looking forward to at the games this summer?
I’m very excited to meet other Jewish athletes from around the world. Being Jewish and being an athlete are two things that are a core part of me, and the environment at the Maccabiah Games is an incredible fusion of these two things. I’m very eager to compete, make connections, and build relationships with other Jewish athletes like myself.

Who is someone you look up to, or role model?
Definitely my parents. My parents have always supported me, no matter what I do. I am fortunate enough to have grown up in an environment where I was always able to do the things I loved. This is, in a huge part, due to the fact that my parents were always encouraging me to do the things I was passionate about. The opportunities that I’ve had and the healthy environment I have grown up in are things that I hope I can provide to my children one day.

If you would like to sponsor Gabi, feel free to go to his individual fundraising page by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment